Here’s a question we get a lot: What are the most common home warranty claims? They’re the items you use most regularly, of course — and if they break down, you are likely to feel their loss. So we’d like to help you prevent that from happening.
Out of all the claims America’s Preferred Home Warranty received in 2022, these are the top five items our homeowners requested help with last year:
- Kitchen Appliances
- Water Heaters
Any of these breaking down translates into a big interruption in your life — but what can you do to prevent it?
Our blog can help.
HVAC Maintenance Tips
Your Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems keep you cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and breathing comfortably year-round. A little maintenance goes a long way, so check out these articles to keep your HVAC units in peak condition.
- House Simple: Tips to maintain your HVAC - Video
- DIY furnace maintenance tips that can help you save money
- Maintaining your gas appliances and systems – Boiler maintenance
- Why isn’t my air conditioner working? 5 easy steps for a cool summer
- How often should you change your HVAC air filters?
- How to winterize your A/C unit in the fall
Kitchen Appliance Maintenance Tips
We lump your major kitchen appliances together because… well, they’re used all the time! Have you ever experienced a power outage? Then you know how much it hurts to have your fridge, dishwasher, stove, or microwave unavailable for any length of time, let alone for the days or weeks one could take to replace. Use these articles to help keep your kitchen running smoothly, your meals on time, and your dishes from being hand-washed.
- Garbage disposal maintenance for a clog-free kitchen
- Lovin’ your oven: 5 oven maintenance tips and a bonus cookie recipe
- Stove & oven maintenance for new homeowners
- House Simple: Tips to maintain your dishwasher - Video
- How to change your microwave charcoal filter and How to make microwave cleaning easy
- House Simple: Tips to maintain your fridge - Video
Plumbing Maintenance Tips
Where’d the water go!? This life-sustaining liquid is so much more than just a beverage: It’s your showers, your sinks, your dishwasher, your instant hot water dispenser, your toilets, and more — and one clog or leak can cause issues in other places. So, help keep your water flowing freely with these plumbing maintenance articles.
- House Simple: Tips to maintain your plumbing - Video
- Your essential homeowner plumbing guide
- How to stop a leaky pipe
- Avoid T.R.O.U.B.L.E.: 7 items you should never put down your drain
- How to prevent frozen pipe damage to your home
Electrical Maintenance Tips
The biggest and most important tip we can give you is to mind your power sources: Make sure you’re not overloading power strips or outlets with more than they can handle. That being said, we can still offer a number of tips to help you extend the life of your electrical systems.
- A beginner’s guide to garage door opener troubleshooting
- Smart home devices that can help you save money
- Holiday safety tips for a great winter party
Water Heater Maintenance Tips
Last, but definitely not least, we’ve got the source of your scalding showers and pristine dishes: The hot water heater. If you’ve ever taken an ice-cold shower, you KNOW how badly you never want to experience that again! Keep that water steaming with these maintenance tips for gas, electric, and tankless water heaters.
- House Simple: Tips to maintain your gas water heater – Video
- House Simple: Tips to maintain your electric water heater – Video
- Your tankless water heater maintenance guide
But wait – there’s more!
This is just a sampling of the hundreds of home maintenance blog posts available. We’ve also got posts filled with home décor and planning tips, stories direct from APHW homeowners, and much more.