If you’re here, you have one goal in mind: Determining whether you actually need a home warranty or not. We’re here to help you figure that out, but first things first—let’s go over the basics.
Home warranty basics
We have a few quick things to review up front.
- What is a home warranty? A home warranty is a service contract that can help you pay for the repair or replacement of covered items when they break down due to normal wear and tear.
- How is it different from homeowners insurance? Homeowners insurance is basically hazard insurance—it can help pay for repairs caused by things like fire or flood damage, but it can’t help when your home systems and appliances break down with normal usage. That’s where a home warranty comes in.
- Who pays for a home warranty? This could be you, the other party in a residential real estate transaction, or a real estate professional, depending on your situation.
What home warranty is best? Consider the 3 C’s
The best home warranty for you depends on what your priorities are. Your first thought may be pricing, which is certainly understandable—overall cost and deductibles are important—but make sure you’re taking Coverage, Claim Requirements, and Convenience into account as well.
- What items are covered?
- Does the standard package include the home systems and appliances most important to you?
- Are there add-ons or upgrades?
- What are the steps?
- What do you need to file a claim (photos, serial numbers, receipts, etc.)?
- Do you have to work with specific contractors, or can you hire your own?
- Is the warranty easy to understand?
- What are the service hours?
- Can you file, track, and manage claims online?
- How quickly are typical claims processed?
- How long do claim payments take, and what are my payment options?
Once you’ve determined which home warranties serve your needs best, your last stop is to check the reviews.
Home warranty reviews
All home warranties have customer reviews, both good and bad. So, it’s important to consider not just the star rating, but also whether the original poster is sharing a valid point. For the most helpful reviews, look for posts containing the following:
- Specific, personal experiences: The customer can detail exactly what happened, bad or good.
- Clarity: The customer is processing their thoughts from a clear mind, not through a strong emotion.
- A personalized response from the home warranty company: This shows how the company values their customers, and whether they are ready to make things right in the event of an error.
If America’s Preferred Home Warranty (APHW) is an option for you, we’ve saved you some time. Along with the links answering the questions above, here are some of our recent reviews as the top-rated home warranty on Google. You can also find APHW reviews on HomeWarrantyReviews.com and the Better Business Bureau, along with responses from our team.
- Jill Heidenreich, Michigan Homeowner: “Had to use our home warranty this summer, and it was very easy to do. And when it was time to renew, they sent us mail with instructions on how to renew and also called us to ask if we needed any additional help. Renewed online and it was very easy.”
- Sadi Delaney, Pennsylvania Homeowner: “I recently bought a house, which was a challenge in the 2022 real estate market. I waived the home inspection because the market was so competitive, so my wonderful real estate agent bought me a home warranty. After only a month in my new home the sewage line backed up into my tub and water was leaking from under the toilet. I started a claim with APHW and had a workman on the job within the hour. APHW walked me through every step of the process and what a relief. The work was almost completely covered and life was back to normal before dinnertime. I am so grateful that I had the warranty and the peace of mind it brings.”
- Zach Lydon, Wisconsin Homeowner: “I had a great experience working with APHW! Like most, I dreaded the process of having something fixed in my new home, but it was very easy to do. The process takes almost no extra effort or time, and the reimbursement came very quickly as well. Customer service was fantastic and easy to work with. Great company!”
- Rhonda Rice, Kansas Homeowner: “APHW customer service and claim processing are excellent. I find their agents easy to work with and each claim is rapidly expedited. It is an easy process to use and I like the fact that I can choose my repair service company.”
- Dona Bouttu, Washington Homeowner: “So glad I purchased APHW home warranty. Customer service is excellent. Quick service, no hassles. They really do what is advertised. Had my furnace fixed immediately and only took a few days to get reimbursement approval. Thank you.”
- Victoria Bannister, Florida Homeowner: “I recently had bought a new condo and found leaking. Using APHW was so easy and professional. The plumber was very impressed and so was I. Thanks Brittany and team!”
APHW’s award-winning team members are here for you 24/7/365 if you have any questions. Give us a call at 877.615.7696, or visit us on Facebook or LinkedIn to tell us your thoughts—we look forward to hearing from you!