You’ve decided you want a home warranty for your home — Congrats! But how long does a home warranty last after purchase? Let’s dive into some possible options for the length of your home warranty.
The typical home warranty provides coverage for one or two years, though some providers offer plans that last for three years or more. When you purchase one, there may be a 30-day waiting period before coverage begins; this is used to prevent the purchase of a warranty to cover an existing problem, as preexisting issues are typically not covered.
While most home warranties are renewable, individual contracts follow these standard timeframes:
- One year: This is the most common type of home warranty. It provides coverage for one year from the date of purchase, and can be paid for up front or month-by-month, depending on how it’s purchased.
- Two years: Providing coverage for two years from the date of purchase, this may be a good option if you have an older home or if you want protection for your home budget for a longer period of time. This is typically paid for in one bulk payment up front.
- Three years: This type of home warranty is less common, but it may be a good option if you have a very expensive home or if you want to have the most comprehensive coverage possible. Some home warranties offer longer packages like this for new construction, too.
Know your ropes
It’s important to read the terms and conditions of your home warranty carefully to understand what’s covered, and what is not. Some common exclusions include:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Damage caused by neglect or abuse
- Damage caused by a flood, fire, or other natural disaster
It’s also important to note that home warranties typically have a claim fee (sometimes referred to as a deductible): This is an amount of money that you will have to pay out-of-pocket for each covered repair or replacement.
Do the research
If you are considering purchasing a home warranty, it is important to shop around and compare different plans. You should also read reviews from other homeowners to get a sense of their experiences with different providers.
Here are some tips for choosing a home warranty:
- Get quotes from several different providers
- Compare the coverage and claim fees of each plan
- Read reviews from other homeowners
- Make sure the provider is licensed and insured
A home warranty can be a good way to protect yourself from the financial burden of costly repairs and replacements.
Visit us on Facebook to share what you’ve discovered!