Many home dryers don’t receive much maintenance beyond cleaning out the lint screen. According to the US Fire Administration, there are a few easy things you can do to keep your dryer running safer and better, for longer.
- Start with the basics: If you don’t currently clean out your lint screen before or after each dry cycle, now is a good time to get into the habit—no one wants a dryer fire to remind them to do it more often!
- Inside out: The next time you use your dryer, step outside and inspect the outdoor vent covering to ensure that it opens when the machine is in use.
- Check the back: Be sure to check the back of your dryer periodically, as lint can build up there as well. Make sure to unplug the machine before you start clearing the lint.
- Go for flow: While you’re there, be sure to inspect the venting system to ensure nothing is restricted, crushed, or otherwise damaged. Again, be sure your dryer is unplugged before you start checking.
- Call in the pros: If you encounter a problem that regular maintenance can’t solve, it might to be time to hire a professional.
Call 888.351.3681 or visit APHW.COM for more information on how to cover your dryer and several other major appliances in your home today!